The Baxter & Black process
- To begin the Redwing Nitrile Sole and Heel Combo, we insert a wooden last to hold the boot in place.
- We take off the heel block.
- Next, we take off the old cork Redwing Nitrile Sole by cutting the welt stitches between the midsole and welt. With the heel block and cork Nitrile sole off we take out the old cork from under the footbed. We replace it with new spreadable cork.
- We roughly sand the cork Nitrile sole, plus clean the surface to be bonded with acetone. Additionally, we also roughly sand the heel block base.
- With the spreadable cork dry, we apply two layers of glue to the area and let dry.
- With the acetone dry on the cork Nitrile sole, we apply two layers of glue. We also add a layer of glue to the heel block base.
- We wait for the glue to cure. Meanwhile, we reactivate the two layers with heat and then bond the two surfaces together with hand pressure and set aside to cure.
- With the glue cured we trim the cork nitrile sole to the edge of the welt mark off where the new heel block base will sit at the base of the cork Nitrile sole. We rough grind the area where it will sit and nail in buttress nails to secure the heel base and heel area of the upper together.
- We then set the welt machine to the right stitch length and welt stitch the new sole to the upper.
- With that completed, we put glue on the cork nitrile sole where the heel block will sit and then place the heel block on top. Putting buttress nails into the guide holes in the heel block we drive the nails in and they hit the base of the last and secure the heel block to the boot. We then reglue the original heel pad or fit a new one. Finally, we use Saphir Crème 1925 Shoe Polish to nourish the upper and Saphir Cordovan Crème Shoe Polish to nourish and seal the welt edge.
The technical stuff
- Oil resistant
- The proper balance between sole and heel
- To see a pair of Red Wing boots with the Nitrile Sole and Heel Combo, click here
- Made in the USA.
The Baxter & Black difference…
Baxter & Black is a registered Red Wing repairer, and use genuine Red Wing products. However, we also have a range of suitable imported and exclusive soles to suit Red Wing and RM Williams boots.